Capacity Building for Residential Service Providers to Respond Effectively to Investigations Conducted by the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth
OARTY in partnership with the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, is working on a project to develop and build the capacity of residential service providers to follow a consistent, sector-wide approach to responding to investigations conducted by the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth (PACY).
The project’s focus is on developing an approach that will support effective communication between PACY and residential service providers, as well as the efficient use of residential provider resources (e.g. human and financial). The project will also enable all residential service providers, including OARTY members and non-OARTY members, to learn from issues raised in the course of investigations, promote sector-wide service delivery improvements and ultimately, improve outcomes for children, youth, and families.
For more information scroll down or click on the links below.
- Project Components
- Consultation Session 1 - March 24, 2017
- Consultation Session 2 - June 9, 2017
- Consultation Session 3 - July 27, 2017
- Upcoming Training - November / December 2017
- Three consultation sessions and an online survey to gather feedback from residential service providers in Ontario to inform the development of the compliance manual and to ensure all project activities meet the diverse needs of residential service providers and the populations they serve.
- The development of a compliance manual to support a province-wide approach to responding to PACY investigations and recommendations. The compliance manual will outline a standardized internal complaints procedure, contain standardized templates, and guidelines on how to work with PACY to respond to investigations.
- Two training sessions (Fall 2017). The training sessions will be developed and facilitated by a legal consultant to provide training to build the capacity of residential service providers to understand the new legislative requirements in the PACY Act and to respond to PACY investigations. The experience of residential service providers that have already been the subject of a PACY investigation will be used as case examples in the training.
- Compliance Manual Presentation (pdf)
- PACY Presentation (pdf)
- An Overview of Investigations by the Advocate - Presentation (pdf)
You can also access information on investigations from the Office of the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth below:
- About the OPACY Investigative Unit: http://provincialadvocate.on.ca/main/en/about/Investigations.html
- What to Expect from an Investigation - OPACY Brochure (English).pdf
- What to Expect from an Investigation - OPACY Brochure (French).pdf
Consultation Session 3
The third and final consultation session was held on Thursday, July 27th in Markham, Ontario. Attendees participated in the review of some of the templated forms/policies drafted for the compliance manual in order to ensure that the information is inclusive, accessible and understandable to all relevant parties. The manual’s purpose is to assist residential service providers in responding effectively to investigations conducted by the Investigative Unit of the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth.
Upcoming Training - November / December 2017
Training will be offered in two locations on two separate dates in order to ensure residential service providers have ample opportunity to participate (both sessions will be the same). As with all parts of the project, the training is at no cost to you or your agency and is open to all Ontario residential service providers, including OARTY members and non-OARTY members.
Please see below to register for the training session nearest you.
Markham Training Session
Thursday, November 16th
Edward Village Markham
50 East Valhalla Drive
Markham Training Session - Agenda and Registration Form (pdf)
Ottawa Training Session
Friday, December 8th
Ramada Ottawa on the Rideau
2259 Prince of Wales Drive
Ottawa Training Session - Agenda and Registration Form (pdf)